- David Lewis
- Member of Validation and Review Board
- Vice Chair of the Environmental and Sustainability Strategy Group
- Associate Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Fellow of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers (CAAV)
- Corporate Member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters (MICFor)
- Member of the Higher Education Academy (MHEA)
- Referee for RICS Research Paper Series
- Assessor of Professional Competence for the RICS
- Member of the Education and Examinations Committee for the CAAV
- Committee Member of the Royal Forestry Society
- Research and consultancy mainly focusses on the management of farm and rural estate woodlands, forestry policy and forestry economics. In particular, the use of wood-based feed stocks for renewable energy generation. Recent consultancy work includes a review of renewable energy opportunities for a large farm in Poland.
- Work undertaken for a wide range of public and private organisations including Defra, Forestry Commission, Natural England, RICS, CLA and Knowledge West.
- Teaching to BSc and MSc students
Main teaching specialisms
- Woodland management, forestry policy and economics
- Rural asset management and property investment
- Renewable energy and in particular biomass for heat energy
Training courses and seminars for external organisations
- Training courses and seminars for a wide range of external organisations, including Coutts, Lloyds, TSB, Savills, Defra, CAAV and the College of Estate Management
A selection of publications over the last 6 years:
- Lewis D.B.( 2006). Renewable energy – the prospects over the next 15 years. RICS Conference paper.
- Lewis D.B. and Manley W.J. (2006). The Link Between Timber Prices and Woodland Management. RICS Conference paper.
- Lewis D.B. (2007). South West Region biomass and biofuels review for Knowledge West. Knowledge West (and published on a range of websites).
- Lewis D.B. (2008). Review of biomass projects in the South West region. Knowledge West (and published on a range of websites).
- Lewis D.B. (2009). Review of biofuels projects in the South West region. Knowledge West (and published on a range of websites).
- Lewis D.B. (2009) Valuation of Woodlands. Isurv. (NB. Peer reviewed and used by chartered surveyors and foresters).
- RICS (2009). Valuation of trees for amenity and related non-timber uses. RICS Guidance Note. RICS. (contributing author of this RICS Guidance Note).
- RICS (2010). Valuation of Woodlands. RICS Guidance Note. RICS. (lead author for this RICS Guidance Note).
- RICS (2012). Valuation of renewable energy installations. RICS Guidance Note. RICS. (contributing author of this RICS Guidance Note).