Research interests encompass two converging themes: agricultural and rural development with special reference to emerging economies and Africa; and, the management of food safety and quality for agricultural production in response to legislation, the food chain and consumers.
Research and contract research for governments, industry actors and NGO’s has included: the evaluation of environmental conditions in UK farm assurance schemes; global studies of a range of farm, food industry and retailer private standards in relation to HACCP, risk assessment and systems management, Restructuring the pig sector in Barbados; environmental assessments of modern farm developments in Malaysia; studies into red meat export from Uruguay and quality red meat in Europe. He has also been responsible for the development of voluntary social and environmental standards for a leading international standards owner, the SQF Institute and has advised a number of governments on private standards adoption, especially at the farm level. Current research is focussing on the relationships between small holder farmers, agribusiness and governments in developing various models of public: private partnerships. In addition, he has been actively involved in agricultural and environmental curriculum development from primary farm schools to higher education and professional development programmes in the UK and overseas.
Richard has also successfully supervised a number of PhD research projects linked to food and farming safety and quality risk assessments; Farmer: supply chain relationships; GHG mitigations and farm carbon sequestration
Richard has published extensively and delivered a number of papers at national and international conferences. Recent publications include:
- Soon, J. M. and Baines, R. N. (2013) Managing Food Safety Risks in the Agri-Food Industries. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group ISBN 978-1-4665-0950-4.
- Baines, R.N. (2009). Quality and safety standards in food supply chains. In Delivering Performance in Food Supply Chains,Mena, C. and Stevens, G. (Eds) Woodhead, Cambridge
- Baines, R. N. (2013) Innovation in agriculture and rural development: Linking smallholder agriculture to agribusiness supply chains. Agricultural Market Linkages Symposium, 12th – 13th December, Crown Agents, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Soon, J. M. and Baines, R. N. (2012). Public and private food safety standards: Facilitating or frustrating fresh produce growers. Laws 2012 (in press) www.mdpi.com/journal/laws/
- Soon, J. M. and Baines, R. N. (2012). Aquaculture farm food safety and diseases risk assessment (AquaFRAM): Development of a spreadsheet tool for salmon farms. Aquacultural Engineering 49: 35-45
- Soon, J. M., Baines, R. N. and Seaman, P. (2012). Meta-analysis of food safety training on hand hygiene knowledge and attitudes among food handlers. Journal of Food Protection 75(4): 793-804.
- Soon, J.M., Manning, L., Davies, W.P., Baines, R. N. (2012) "Fresh Produce-Associated Outbreaks: A Call for HACCP on Farms?", British Food Journal Vol. 114, No. 4, pp. 553-597
- Soon, J. M. and Baines, R. N. (2012). Food safety training and evaluation of hand washing intention among fresh produce farm workers. Food Control 23: 437-448
- Soon, J.M., Davies, W.P., Chadd, S.A. and Baines, R.N. (2012). A Delphi-based approach to developing and validating a farm food safety risk assessment tool by experts. July 2012, Pages 8325–8336. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.189
- Soon, J.M., Singh, H. and Baines, R.N. (2011). Foodborne diseases in Malaysia: A review. Food Control. 22(6): 823-830.
- Soon, J.M., Baines, R.N., Davies, W.P. and Chadd, S.A. (2011). Malaysia’s fresh produce farms: Are we ready for HACCP? Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on ‘Improving the Performance of Supply Chains in Transitional Economies’. Eds. P.J Batt and N.M. Nawi. ISHS Commission on Economics and Management. Acta Horticulturae. 895: 269-275.
- Soon, J.M., Davies, W.P., Chadd, S.A. and Baines, R.N. (2011). Development of farm food safety-risk assessment tool for fresh produce farms. Journal of Food Protection. 74 (Suppl. A), 34.
- Baines, R.N. (2009). Establishing Standards for Sustainability and their Applicability to the Food Industry. Food & Beverage Packaging Innovation Summit. London.
- Baines, R.N. (2009). Establishing Standards for Sustainability in the Food Industry. Australian Sustainable Development Institute. Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
- Liu, Z., Baines, R.N., Lane, G.P.F. and Davies, W.P. (2009). Two grass species and their competition on sainfoin survival. Grassland and Forage Science.