Introduction to Property Economics
- Module code
- Module leader
- Matthew Smith
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 35 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
The module will consider:
- Basic principles of microeconomics and their application to the property market;
- The functioning of a property market;
- The sectoring of property markets, and their categories, scale and role within the wider economy;
- The role of the planning and development system on housing supply;
- The housing finance system;
- The house building industry;
- International property markets;
- The role of Macroeconomic factors;
- Housing market cycles; and
- The critical role of property markets in macroeconomic crises
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of basic macro and micro economic concepts with particular reference to real property and the functioning of local, national and international markets;
- Analyse the circumstances leading to past property cycles.
- Differentiate between the various sectors of the property market.
- Make and communicate observations on the scale of activity in all sectors of the property market.
|Coursework||Random Mini Tests||50%|
|Examination||Exam (1 hour)||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Banfield, A. (2005) Stapleton’s Real Estate Management Practice. Routledge, Abingdon
- Gallent, N et al. (2015) Introduction to Rural Planning: Economies, Communities and Landscapes. Routledge, Abingdon.
- Glickman, E (2013) An Introduction to Real Estate Finance. Elsevier, Oxford.
- Greed, C. (2014) Planning in the UK: An Introduction. Palgrave, Basingstoke.
- Jowsey, E. (2011). Real Estate Economics. 1st edn. Palgrave Macmillan
- Millington, A. (2000) Property Development. EG Books, London.
- Parsons, G. (2003) The Glossary of Property Terms. Routledge, Abingdon.
- Wood, D. et al. (2010) Law and the Built Environment. Wiley - Blackwell, Oxford.
- Estates Gazette (weekly journal) also available as Estates Gazette Interactive (EGi) via Library website.
- Property Week
- RICS Modus magazine (monthly members Journal)
- Gov.uk (UK Government website) – Buying, Selling or Renting A Home