Equine Pasture, Forage and Turf Management
- Module code
- Module leader
- Simon Daniels
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 75 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 20 hours
- Teaching period
- October - January
This module applies a foundation of agricultural and equine research to the use of temperate grasses for equine purposes. The establishment and management of grass and forage legumes for equine grazing, winter forage production and conservation techniques. Grazing behaviour and maintenance of horse paddocks and boundaries. Sports surfaces including race tracks and polo fields. Site visits will occur to illustrate the topics, weather permitting.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically assess the use of grasses and forage legumes in the equine industry related to equine health, safety, security and grazing behaviour.
- Appraise the techniques employed for the establishment and management of pastures and equine sports surfaces, and evaluate their use for different enterprises.
- Give an informed opinion on the options available for producing conserved forages for horses, the nutrient status of the products and appropriate feeding strategies.
|Coursework||1 x presentation (individual)||30%|
|Examination||1 x synthesis paper (3,000 words)||70%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- ADAS. (1994). Grassland Management for Horses. ADAS, Guildford.
- British Seed Houses (BSH). (No date). Turfgrass Manual. BSH.
- Finch, H.J.S., Samuel, A.M. and Lane, G.F.P. (2002). Lockhart and Wiseman’s Crop Husbandry. (8th edition). Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Frape, D. (2010). Equine Nutrition and Feeding. (4th edition). Blackwell Science.
- Hubbard, J.C.E. (1984). Grasses. (3rd revised edition). Penguin.
- Saastamoinen, M., Fradinho, M.J., Santos, A.S. and Miraglia, N. (ed.) (2012). Forages and Grazing in Horse Nutrition. Wageningen Academic (EAAP Publication, 132).
- Journal of Turfgrass Science.
- Journal of Grass and Forage Science.
- International Turfgrass Bulletin.
- http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/ (2010) Grassland for Horses.