Management of Reproduction
- Module code
- Module leader
- Jo Charles
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 40 hours
- Teaching period
- Thursday AM
Reproductive physiology, fitness to breed, selection criteria, international and sporting discipline comparisons of breeding programmes. The breeding year and its organisation. Fertilisation, early development, maternal recognition of pregnancy, pregnancy detection and maintenance and parturition. Manipulation of breeding including use of synthetic hormone regimes for suppression or synchronisation of oestrus. Artificial insemination and embryo transfer. Advances in reproductive technology including sexing of semen, superovulation and cryopreservation of semen and embryos. Foal and stallion management.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the hormonal interactions and pathways involved in the reproductive cycle of horses.
- Appreciate how this knowledge can be used to manipulate the breeding of horses using modern breeding techniques (embryo transfer and artificial insemination) as well as synthetic hormone analogues.
|Coursework||1 x literary review||50%|
|Examination||1 x 3 hour unseen exam||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Brinsko, S.P., Blanchard, T.L., Varner, D.D., Schumacher, J. and Love, C.C. (2011). Manual of Equine Reproduction. (3rd edition). Mosby.
- Carnevale, E.M. (2007). Equine Practice: Advances in Reproduction. Veterinary Clinics of North America. 22:(3). Saunders.
- Davies Morel, M.C.G. (2008). Equine Reproductive Physiology, Breeding and Stud Management. (3rd edition). CABI Publishing.
- McKinnon, A.O., Squires, E.L., Vaala, W.E. and Varner, D.D. (Eds.) (2011). Equine Reproduction. (2nd edition). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Samper, J.C., Pycock, J.F. and McKinnon, A.O. (2007). Current Therapy in Equine Reproduction. Saunders.
- Samper, J.C. (2009). Equine Breeding Management and Artificial Insemination. (2nd edition). Saunders.
- Allen, W.R. (1998). Equine Embryo Transfer IV (Equine Veterinary Journal supplement 25]: Proceedings of the fourth International Symposium on Equine Embryo Transfer, Reims, January 1998 / edited by W.R. Allen. Equine Veterinary Journal supplement (25)
- Allen, W.R. (ed.) (2000). Equine Reproduction VII. Proceedings of the seventh International Symposium on Equine Reproduction. University of Pretoria, S.A., 1998. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. Supplement 56.
- Caldwell, S. (2001). Foaling Simplified. Published by author.
- Wade, J., Allen, W.R., Rossdale, P.D. and Rowlands, I.W. (1991). Equine Reproduction V. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. Supplement 44.
- Weir, B.J., Rowlands, I.W., Allen, W.R. and Rossdale, P.D. (1987). Equine Reproduction IV. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. Supplement 35
- Equine Veterinary Journal