Land and Property Management
- Module code
- 4102 RL
- Module leader
- Iain Butler
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 300 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 50 hours
An integrative case study and critical literature review featuring the strategic and operational management of real estate, embracing a study of: Property defects and maintenance; Insurance; Landlord and tenant relations; Leases and licences; Landlord and tenant Law; Law of Agency; Principles and regulations of real estate agency and marketing; Investment theory and application to real estate; Real estate management strategy; Real estate management practice; Finance and mortgages; and Real estate current issues.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically analyse the relationship between landlord and tenant and apply and adapt it to a range of different real estate management situations.
- Develop the principles of agency, including legal requirements, and apply and adapt them to disposal and acquisition of real estate.
- Give appropriate critical advice, allowing for the effective day to day management of real estate, within the context of current law and regulations.
- Prepare and apply valuations on a range of real estate interests for different specified statutory and commercial purposes.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of real estate taxation, and be able to give appropriate advice on matters relating to local and national taxation.
- Write a critical literature review on a relevant current real estate issue.
|Coursework||Case Study Report 5000 words||50%|
|Coursework||Critical Literature Review 2000 words||20%|
|Examination||1 x Viva Voce||30%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- SCARRETT, D. (2011). Property Asset Management. 3rd ed. Routledge. (available as an ebook)
- GARNER AND FRITH, (2013) A practical approach to landlord and tenant, 7th ed, Oxford University Press
- RICS (2011) RICS Blue book: residential property standards / Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. RICS Books (available on ISURV)
- BANFIELD. A. (2005) Stapleton's real estate management practice /, 4th ed, Estates Gazette,
- RICS Publications through ISURV, web based resources, etc.