Investment and Development
- Module code
- 4103 RL
- Module leader
- Iain Butler
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 300 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 40 hours
An integrative case study featuring the strategic and operational management of a complex mixed multinational real estate investment portfolio, embracing a study of: Portfolio theory; Business structures; Strategic management; Performance setting, measurement and review; Risk and return; Analysis of portfolio dynamics; Operational management, tenant selection, lease renewals, service charges, rent reviews; Acquisition and disposal strategies; Taxation and impact on performance.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Give critical professional advice on the strategic management of land and property, within the context of effective property portfolio management and sound business management, including the implications for human resources.
- Evaluate the financial and investment implications of real estate, including national taxation, funding for development and investment purposes.
- Critically apply the principles of town and country planning, and seek to evaluate development control strategies, when looking to develop land and property on behalf of a client.
|Coursework||1 x case study report (5000 words)||60%|
|Examination||1 x viva voce||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Baum, A. (2009). Commercial Real Estate Investment: A Strategic Approach. (2nd ed) EG Books. (available as an ebook)
- Brown, G.R. and Matysiac, G.A. (2000). Real Estate Investment. Pearson Education.
- Forrester, P. and Gibb, C. (2008). Residential and Commercial Service Charges: A Surveyor’s Handbook. RICS.
- Hoesli, M. and MacGregor, B.D. (2000). Property Investment: Principles and Practice of Portfolio Management. Longman Harbo.
- Isaac, D. (2003). Property Finance. (2nd edition). Palgrave MacMillan.
- Lumby, S. and Jones, C. (1999) Investment Appraisal and Financial Decisions. (6th edition). International Thomson Business Press.
- Ratcliffe, J., Stubbs, M. and Keeping, M. (2009). Urban Planning and Real Estate Development. (3rd edition). Spon Press. (available as an ebook)
- Suarez, J.L. (2009). European Real Estate Markets. Palgrave Macmillan. (available as an ebook)
- RICS Publications, through ISURV, web based resources, etc.
- International Journal of Strategic Property Management
- Journal of Property Research
- Property Management
- Journal of European Real Estate Research
- Journal of Corporate Real Estate