International Real Estate Market Analysis
- Module code
- 4104 / 4104 DL
- Module leader
- Robert Couchman
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 20 hours
- Teaching period
- April – June (campus) Varies (distance learning)
An international based project where the students study and visit an international environment in order to compare and contrast the workings of land administration institutions that they have studied in their home country with those of the international host country. The students will develop knowledge and understanding of the areas of land tenure, landlord and tenant relations, land use and development control, letting and conveyancing, property investment and funding. They will also compare and contrast the practice of valuation, agency, property management and professional ethics between their home country and their international location.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Apply their knowledge and understanding of valuation techniques and be able to value different types of property in host country’s real estate market.
- Critically evaluate the legal requirements for the leasing of real estate in the host country, and be able to give advice on the heads of terms for a commercial lease.
- Give critical professional advice on the best use of land for development purposes, and advise on the correct procedures for obtaining planning permission.
- Evaluate the development worth of a site and apply, with confidence, an appropriate development appraisal technique.
- Give critical professional advice to an international investor seeking to invest in an International property market.
- Critically evaluate with confidence the practical differences in undertaking the above tasks in the host country’s real estate market with their home country market.
|Coursework||1 x case study report||60%|
|Examination||1 x viva voce||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- GUY S, HENNEBERRY (2002) Development and Developers: new perspectives on property, Blackwell Publishing (available to purchase from Dawsonera)
- SEABROOKE W, KENT P, HEBE HWEE HONG HOW (2004) International Real Estate: an institutional approach, Blackwell Publishing (available to purchase from Dawsonera)
- SUAREZ, J L (2009) European real estate markets, Palgrave Macmillan (available as an ebook)
- Journal of Property Investment and Finance
- International Journal of Strategic Property Management
- Journal of Property Research
- Property Management
- Journal of European Real Estate Research
- Journal of Corporate Real Estate