Real Estate Agency and Asset Management
- Module code
- 4108 RL
- Module leader
- Ali Parsa
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 300 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 45 hours
An integrative case study featuring a complex mix of real estate interests, types and uses requiring a critical understanding of the knowledge, skills and techniques developed in the preceding case studies. The case study will involve aspects of corporate real estate asset management, investment management, valuation, acquisition, disposal, sale and leaseback strategies and mixed portfolio management. Professional problem resolution; providing both strategic and operational management advice; dispute resolution; negotiation; application of professional standards and guidance; recognition of contemporary issues relating to ethical behaviour, sustainability, energy strategy, urban development and policy framework.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Apply their knowledge and understanding of valuation techniques and be able to value different types of property in a UK real estate market context.
- Critically evaluate the legal requirements for the leasing of real estate in the UK, and be able to give advice on the heads of terms for a commercial lease.
- Give critical professional advice on the strategy for management of a complex mix of property interests.
- Identify a management prescription to deliver an appropriate management strategy in order to achieve stated objectives.
- Give critical professional advice to corporate occupier seeking to maximise value and minimise risk to the core business in relation to its property assets.
|Coursework||1 x report||60%|
|Examination||1 x viva voce||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Butt, P. (2006) Commercial Property. Jordan Publishing Ltd.
- Brueggeman, W.B. and Fisher, J.D. (2004) Real Estate Finance and Investments. (12th edition). Irwin-McGraw Hill.
- Edington, G. (1997) Property Management – A Customer Focussed Approach. Macmillan Press.
- Fox Andrews, J. (2007) Business Tenancies. (6th edition). Estate Gazette. RICS Manual of Estate Agency Law and Practice.
- Journal of Property Investment and Finance.
- Journal of Property Management.
- Journal of Property Valuation and Investment.