OverviewBrush cutters are a popular tool for the clearing of vegetation and scrub. This course covers routine maintenance, pre-start checks, site considerations and machine operation. The correct selection and use of cutting attachments is vital to the safe and efficient operation of the machine. Trimmers are capable of good work rates in awkward terrain/situations, but they also have the potential of being a very dangerous piece of equipment. All operators must be aware of the need for correct protective clothing, correct maintenance and the observance of safe operating procedures. Environmental factors must also be observed in the modern day working setting. This course provides:- the reasons for the safety considerations, guidance on how best to maintain a safe working environment, and an understanding of the ways to optimise work rate.
PrerequisitesThis course is suitable for operators with some experience & knowledge of grass trimmers/brushcutters. For those with little or no previous experience or knowledge you will need to book onto the two day course.
Upon completing the Lantra Awards Brushcutters/Trimmers Maintenance and Operation training course you will be able to:
- State and comply with safety and legal requirements of a brushcutter/trimmer, with an emphasis on safe - practices, warning signs and guards.
- State and identify the correct protective clothing to wear and the standards required.
- Perform routine maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer’s handbook.
- Identify faults and defects on a brushcutter/trimmer and decide which the operator can easily remedy, and which should be referred to a specialist engineer.
- Identify which cutting head to select for the relevant operating conditions.
- Carry out fuel mixing correctly and be able to start the brushcutter/trimmer from both a hot and a cold condition in a safe manner.
- Operate the brushcutter/trimmer in a safe manner having regard for the safety of themselves, the public, property and environmental factors.
- Plan systematic working operations.
- Use the manufacturer’s instruction book and parts list.
- Safety and risk assessment
- HSE legislation
- Protective clothing
- Components and maintenance
- Practical maintenance
- Fuelling and starting
- Testing the safety features
- Checking balance of the brushcutter/trimmer
- Safe operation
- Brushcutter including maintenance manual, harness etc if available. If you do not have your own brushcutter we can supply one for the duration of the course.
- Due to Covid-19 please bring your own food and beverages as we are unable to provide these.
- Suitable outdoor clothing to carry out brushcutter operation, this includes suitable steel toed footwear.
- We require a digital photograph which will be taken on the day of the training course, this is purely for a Lantra Skills card. PLEASE NOTE:- If you do not wish for a photograph to be taken then you will not be issued with a Lantra Skills card.