- Jonathan Code
I joined the RAU as a Lecturer in Sustainable Land Management in August 2020. I bring to the role over three decades of study, work and engagement in the fields of education, environmental studies & ecology, sustainable and regenerative agriculture.
My work in education includes extensive experience teaching in FE and HE both in the UK and internationally. My particular interest is in integrative and trans-disciplinary approaches to education and the role that these can play in the contemporary educational 'landscape'. My commitment to integrative education has deepened over two-decades of designing and delivering courses, workshops, and conferences for teachers, agricultural apprentices, master's students and for the public.
Alongside my interest in education I have - ever since first encountering the joys of hand-weeding on an organic farm in the wilds of New Brunswick almost 30 years ago - been engaged with agriculture. I have a particular interest in the interface between agriculture and ecology, between society and the environment, between people and place. I have developed and deepened these interests over the last decade through engagements in China, South Africa, North America and Scandinavia.
I am currently completing my doctoral studies at the University of Bath.
- Philosophy of Education
- Integrative Education
- Environmental education
- Regenerative Agriculture
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Contemporary Issues in Rural Land Management (3005)
- Contemporary Issues in Property and Society (3026 )
- Fundamentals of Land and Property (1320)
Academic peer reviewed articles
- Considering Waldorf Education’s contributions to global citizenship education: a study arising from an International Education research context. Steiner Studies 1:1 (2020).
- Ecoliteracy and the Trouble with Reading: Ecoliteracy Considered in Terms of Goethe’s ‘delicate Empiricism’ and the Potential for Reading in the Book of Nature. Environmental Education Research 25.8 (2019): 1-14.
- Innovations in Agroecology Education: From Bicycles to Blended Learning. Journal of Education 197.3 (2017): 34-45.
- Thinking Like A Plant. Paper given at the IPCUK conference Sept 2015. Submitted for publication of conference contributions to Coventry University (CAWR).
- The Art of Knowing: Epistemological Implications for a Schooling of the Imagination. RoSE Online journal 2:1 (2011)
Books and book chapters
- Crafting: Transforming Materials and the Maker – Radically Redefining Learning (2019). Book editor and co-author. HandsOn Press, Stroud UK.
- Alternative Agriculture (book chapter). Routledge Handbook of Landscape and Food. (2018): 127-139
- Muck and Mind: Encountering Biodynamic Agriculture (2014) MA: Lindisfarne Press