This prestigious international exchange programme has been established in recognition of Professor Barry Dent and his unique career in farm management and agribusiness.
Professor Dent was Principal of the Royal Agricultural College (RAC), now the Royal Agricultural University (RAU), from 1997 until 2002.
Before joining the RAC, his career took him and his family around the world and, while in New Zealand, he was Professor of Farm Management and Rural Valuation at Lincoln College, now Lincoln University, near Christchurch on New Zealand’s South Island, and became Director of the Agribusiness and Economics Research Unit (AERU), making a significant contribution to research and teaching at Lincoln.
This scholarship and international exchange honours Barry’s career at both institutions and it is hoped that this scholarship, which will be awarded annually, will provide an excellent opportunity for students to gain overseas experience as part of their degree studies.
It is hoped they will form networks for their future jobs and career and help forge a stronger relationship between the two institutions. The international exchange will support students undertaking degrees relevant to agriculture in both the UK and New Zealand.
About the scholarship
- The award is worth £3,000 for one year only for one full-time student
- The scholarship is to cover international flights, travel insurance and a modest stipend
- Students are expected to pay normal home university tuition fees whilst on exchange
- The scholarship is for six months and, for the RAU exchange student travelling to NZ, will be from the start of the RAU’s second semester (January 2024)
- The student will study at Lincoln University in New Zealand
- Students can choose to extend their stay abroad outside of the Universities’ semesters, but any additional travel, accommodation, or subsistence costs during that time will not be covered by the scholarship
- Course work is mutually credited back into a student’s degree between the two institutions
- Normal student visa requirements apply
Selection criteria and eligibility
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be an RAU student in the second year of the 3-year degree programme in BSc (Hons) Agriculture or the 4-year BSc (Hons) Agriculture programme with placement year
- Be predicted to achieve at least 2:1 result, as indicated from grades from the first year of study
- Be a positive ambassador for the RAU and Lincoln University when representing the UK and New Zealand overseas
- Produce a travel and study illustrative diary, containing photographs, at the end of the exchange on learnings and experience for academic assessment along with a profile and photograph of yourself for marketing purposes
How do I apply?
All applicants must complete an application form, outlining the reasons why they want to participate in the exchange and how the you believe the exchange will benefit you and your studies. You may be asked for an interview to discuss your application.
Deadline for applications
Applications should be submitted to Philip Hudson by 24 November 2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
How will I know if I have been successful?
All applicants will be informed in writing of the outcome, once a decision has been made and no later than early December 2023.
For further information, please email: Philip.email@example.com.