Short-term study visas (STS)

This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months.

Check if you need a visa to study in the UK.

If you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein 

If you started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme

If this is not the case, you will need to apply for a visa to study in the UK if your course is longer than 6 months. The earliest date your visa will start from is 1 January 2021. 

Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme.

How long you can stay 

You can stay in the UK for the length of your course plus an extra 30 days as long as your stay is no longer than 11 months. 

Fees and costs 

The application fee is £186 for a Short-term study visa. 

Healthcare surcharge 

You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It usually costs £470 (correct in December 2020). 

This is so you can use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. 

Check how much you’ll need to pay before you apply. 

What you cannot do 

You cannot: 

  • Study on any other course or change your course while in the UK 
  • Study at a state-funded school 
  • Work or carry out any business (this includes paid or unpaid work, work experience or work placements) 
  • Extend this visa 
  • Bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on this visa 
  • Apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension 

Who can apply? 

You must be 16 or older to apply. 

You will need to prove that: 

  • You have been accepted onto an English language course that lasts 11 months or less and includes no other subjects 
  • Your course is with an accredited institution 
  • You have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you 
  • You can pay for your return or onward journey 

If you are under 18 years old, you must also: 

  • Have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK 
  • Have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK 

N.B. Information correct on 14 December 2020.