Applying for a BRP replacement visa (single journey/entry) visa to return to the UK

Once you have your new passport or temporary travel document (if required) you can apply for a visa to return to the UK.

When you apply for a replacement BRP visa from outside the UK, what you actually get is a single journey visa, as a vignette in your passport which is valid for 30 days. You can only use this visa once, which allows you to return to the UK.

Once you have returned to the UK, you will then have to apply for a replacement BRP.

How to apply

To apply for the replacement BRP (single entry) visa, you apply online at

  • When applying online, you will need to create a profile with a username and password
  • Next click on ‘Apply for myself’ and enter your personal information in the ‘Application Details’ section
  • In the section ‘Select Visa Type’ answer the questions as follows:
    • Reason for Visa Other
    • Visa Type Others
    • Visa Sub Type Replacement Biometric Residence Permit
  • At the end of your application form in the additional information section, add that you are a student studying at a UK University and applying for a replacement visa because your Student BRP visa was lost or stolen
  • Complete the application and follow the instructions on how to apply

You will need to attend an interview at a Visa Application Centre. This process can vary in different countries. In some countries, they may offer a premium service, which will be quicker but cost more. To find a visa application in the country where you are, visit

Supporting documents you may need

  1. Passport/temporary travel document
  2. Photos – UK Passport sized
  3. Student Status letter – You need to request this from the Registry Office
  4. Police Report of stolen BRP and a translation
  5. Application fee (you may pay this online)

You will need to send the original documents if possible. You may be able to submit documents that have been scanned or copied but you must print them off.

All documents must be in English or translated into English if needed. You should be able to find local official translators online.

If you are able to continue your course at RAU, when you return to the UK you must apply for a replacement BRP visa within one month.

(N.B. This page information may need updating once the government advises any changes based on the new Student route Visa in October 2020)