Changes to relationship requirements for partners under the Student, Graduate, and Skilled Worker routes

From 25 July 2023, if you are making an application under any of these routes that includes a dependent partner, the requirements about your relationship will change.

Previously, the relationship requirements for these routes were specific to each route (the Student route, the Graduate route, and Skilled Worker route). From 25 July 2023, the requirements will be housed in a central part of the rules: Appendix Relationship with Partner. The majority of the requirements will remain the same. However, there will be some differences that may need to be taken into consideration and it will be important to familiarise yourself with these requirements prior to your application.

To be able to bring dependant family members into the UK during your studies you must meet the following requirements if your course starts on or after 1 January 2024. The course you study must be either:

  • A PhD or other doctorate (RQF level 8)
  • A research-based higher degree

For Student visa purposes a dependant is:

  • Your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Your unmarried partner
  • Your child under 18 years old - including if they were born in the UK during your stay

Applicants can read more information either on the UK Government website or the UKCISA website.

Financial requirements

These can vary.

Unless you qualify for the UKVI differentiation agreement, if you study outside London, each dependant must show £680 for each month of immigration permission you have been granted (if your dependants are applying after you have received your permission) or will be granted (if your dependants are applying at the same time as you). This is up to a maximum of nine months (therefore, a maximum figure of £6,120).

For information on how to apply as a dependant please visit the government website. Full guidance is also available through the UKVI website. Also, visit the UKCISA website for information and up-to-date developments or answers to questions raised with the Home Office regarding dependants.