Senior Lecturer in Equine Health.
I combine teaching Equine Health at the RAU with my work as a practising equine veterinarian in a large veterinary services provider where I am also the Equine Development Lead.
After graduating as a veterinarian at the University of Bristol in 2000 I undertook an internship in private practice to become an equine ambulatory vet. I then commenced further training and research at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) where I studied for Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) certificates in Equine Practice and in Equine Surgery (orth). In 2010 I awarded a PhD (University of London) in strain related differential regulation of tendon extracellular matrix protein. My interest in tendon injury led to publications, international presentations and further research on the effect of loading in the equine tendon. Whilst employed at the RVC Equine Referral Hospital as Staff Clinician in Diagnostic Imaging I became involved in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students. This experience with students ignited my interest in teaching and learning and motivated me to study for a Postgraduate Certificate in Veterinary Education for which I was awarded Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Practising Veterinarian
- Corporate veterinary company Equine Development Lead
- Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) Official Veterinarian
- Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- British Equine Veterinary Association
- Equine Health 3200
I am currently involved in research into quality Improvement in a large corporate veterinary company.
Equine Health and Disease
Module lead for Bioveterinary Science 2 (2253)
Peer reviewed journal publications
- Bolt, D.M, Read R.M, Weller R, Sinclair C, David F. Standing low-field magnetic resonance imaging of a comminuted central tarsal bone fracture in a horse. (2013) Equine Veterinary Education, 25 (12), 618-623.
- Fox V, Sinclair C, Bolt, D, Lowe. J, Weller, R. Design and validation of a simulator for equine joint injections. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. 2013, 40(2): 152-7.
- Finding E, Fletcher N, Avella, C.S (now Sinclair), Naylor, R.J, Volk, H.A, Weller R, Dunkel B, Piercy, R.J. Standing CT and clinical progression of equine cholesterol granulomata. (2012) Veterinary Record. Mar;170(11):289.
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair) and Perkins, J.D. (2011) Computed Tomography in the investigation of trauma to the ventral cranium - Clinical Commentary, Equine Veterinary Education, 23 (7) 333-338.
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair), Ely, E.R., Verheyen, K.L.P., Price, .J.S., Wood, J.L.N. and Smith, R.K.W. (2009) Ultrasonographic assessment of the superficial digital flexor tendons of National Hunt racehorses in training over two racing seasons. Equine Veterinary Journal. Equine Vet J. 2009 May;41(5):449-54
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair) and Smith, R.K.W (2009) Ultrasound evaluation of stem cell treated tendon injuries in the horse: repair or regeneration? The British Medical Ultrasound Society. Ultrasound, 2009 Vol. 17, No. 2., pp. 74-79
- Ely, E.R., Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair), Price, J.S., Smith, R.K.W., Wood, J.L.N., Verheyen, K.L.P. (2009) Descriptive epidemiology of fracture, tendon and suspensory ligament injuries in National Hunt racehorses in training., Equine Veterinary Journal 2009 Apr;41(4):372-8
Non-peer reviewed publications
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair) (2012) Back in the saddle, British Eventing Lifestyle Jan / Feb 2012
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair), and Smith R.W.K., (2011) Equine tendon injury in the 21st century: Old treatments fired and stem cells promoted? Veterinary Practice, Jan. 2011 p.42
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair) (Ed) (2010) Diagnostic imaging; picturing the problem, written by the vets of tomorrow. Godfrey, H., Lewis, D., Parker, L., Williams, R., Wingham, H. British Horse. The official magazine of the British Horse Society. Sept / Oct 2010, p.41
Contributions to published books
- Sinclair, C and Pease AP (2015) Chapter 95 Diagnosis of Ventral Cranial Trauma p405-8 In: Robinson’s Current Therapy in Equine Medicine 7th ed Ed: Sprayberry KA and Robinson NE.
- Sinclair, C, Birch H, Smith RKW, Goodship AE. Chapter 8 Skeletal physiology: responses to exercise and training and Chapter 9 Tendon and ligament physiology. (2014) In: Equine Sports Medicine 2nd ed. Ed: Hinchcliff KW, Kaneps AJ, Georn RJ. Saunders.
- Avella, C.S. (now Sinclair) and Smith, R.K.W. (2012), Diagnosis and management of tendon and ligament disorders. In: Equine Surgery 4th ed. Ed: Auer JA and Stick JA, 4th Edition, Missouri, Saunders
- Weller, R., Ripley, F. and Avella, C. (now Sinclair) (2012) Chapter 25: Diagnostic Imaging In: Equine Medicine, Surgery and Reproduction 2nd ed. Ed T. Mair, S. Love, J. Schumacher J, R.K. Smith, G. Frazer