Senior Lecturer in Sustainable Land Management.
Programme Leader - Environment, Food and Society.
Over the last few decades my work and research has focused on education for sustainability with particular attention to the interface between society and the environment, agriculture and ecology, and between 'ways of knowing' and 'ways of growing'.
My educational research (including a recently completed thesis for my EdD) has focused on integrative and trans-disciplinary approaches to education and the role that these can play in the contemporary educational landscape.
I have developed and deepened these interests over the last decade through teaching engagements in China, South Africa, North America and Scandinavia.
- Philosophy of education
- Integrative education
- Environmental education
- Regenerative agriculture
- History and philosophy of science
- Fundamentals of Land and Property
- Forestry, Land and Resources
- Forestry and Woodland Management
- Society, Education and Engagement
- Solving Problems in Practice
- Education, Recreation and Access
- Small Scale Farming and Local Food Supply
- Poverty and Food Security (co-leader)
- Contemporary Issues in Land, Property and Society
- Forestry, Land and Resources (2335)
- Environmental and Woodland Management (4029)
- Poverty and Food Security (4201)
Academic peer reviewed articles
- Considering Waldorf Education’s contributions to global citizenship education: a study arising from an International Education research context. Steiner Studies 1:1 (2020).
- Ecoliteracy and the Trouble with Reading: Ecoliteracy Considered in Terms of Goethe’s ‘delicate Empiricism’ and the Potential for Reading in the Book of Nature. Environmental Education Research 25.8 (2019): 1-14.
- Innovations in Agroecology Education: From Bicycles to Blended Learning. Journal of Education 197.3 (2017): 34-45.
- Thinking Like A Plant. Paper given at the IPCUK conference Sept 2015. Submitted for publication of conference contributions to Coventry University (CAWR).
- The Art of Knowing: Epistemological Implications for a Schooling of the Imagination. RoSE Online journal 2:1 (2011)
Books and book chapters
- Crafting: Transforming Materials and the Maker – Radically Redefining Learning (2019). Book editor and co-author. HandsOn Press, Stroud UK.
- Alternative Agriculture (book chapter). Routledge Handbook of Landscape and Food. (2018): 127-139
- Muck and Mind: Encountering Biodynamic Agriculture (2014) MA: Lindisfarne Press
- Editorial Board Member - Plant Perspectives Journal
- Fellow of the Schumacher Institute
- Biodynamic Board of Studies