With a range of expertise in applied research in sustainable agriculture, food chain security, agribusiness, agronomy, entrepreneurship, rural enterprise, soil science, equine science and urban regeneration and development, the RAU provides a stimulating environment for individuals wanting to further their academic and professional careers thorough doctoral study.
The RAU is committed to environmental, economic and social sustainability, and so all our projects explore issues that will help farmers, horse owners, and rural businesses apply innovative techniques and models to improve output, economic viability, health, and welfare while caring for the environment.
Why study at the RAU?
- Excellent job prospects for PhD candidates in both industry and academia
- Integrated structured training on research methodologies, statistics, presentation skills, and academic writing
- Range of on-farm facilities and unique established trial-plot areas to support your work
- Strong research collaborations with the University of Nottingham, Rothamsted Research, and University College Dublin allowing you access to some state-of-the- art laboratory facilities
- Our research degrees are validated by the University of Gloucestershire allowing you to interact with a large and subject-diverse postgraduate community
Current research areas include:
Agronomy and sustainable agriculture
- Wheat-bean intercropping and sustainable production systems
- Environmental challenges and food security in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Developing sustainable pest control methods
- Efficacy of farm swales in removing pesticides from surface water
Entrepreneurship and business development
- New venture creation
- SME growth and development (including business support for)
- Family businesses
- Social enterprise / non-profit development
- Creative industry entrepreneurship
- Technology entrepreneurship
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship education
- Understanding management influences on soil organic matter
- Nutrient cycling in soil and potential for carbon sequestration
- Behavioural probes of brain function in horses
- Evaluating energy balance in competition horses
- Forage hygiene and respiratory health in stabled horses
- Smart city modelling
- International competitiveness of Chinese construction firms
- UAE residential valuation systems audit investigation and future pathways
The University is interested in receiving applications from suitably qualified, motivated, and self-financing students wishing to undertake research at either Master of Science by Research (MScR) or Doctoral (PhD) level.