Support for students with dyslexia and other disabilities

The RAU aims to be an inclusive environment and we actively welcome applications from students with disabilities. Your application for a place will be considered solely on academic grounds.

There are many types of disability; visible or hidden; physical (sight, speech, hearing or mobility impairment) or mental health conditions or long term medical conditions. The most frequently encountered is dyslexia.

We have designed our courses to be accessible to as wide a range of potential students as possible. We ask that you declare your dyslexia or other disability to us as early as possible, so that we can ensure we have provision for your needs in place when you arrive.

As our degrees are vocational, some modules do require physical activity or visual skills in order to complete them successfully.

If you think you may be dyslexic or disabled, or have a medical or physical disability ...

We have an excellent track record of supporting the needs of students with dyslexia or other forms of specific learning difficulties, and aim to be ‘dyslexia friendly’ in all our teaching and learning environments.

Depending on your disability we may require copies of additional documents such as:

  • A copy of a report or letter from your doctor or consultant in case of a physical or long term health condition (over 12 months) 
  • A copy of a report or letter from your doctor or consultant in case of a mental health condition
  • A copy of a ‘diagnostic assessment’ from a practitioner, psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher. The assessment does not need to be a post-16 assessment

Copies should be sent to [email protected]k

All students are asked to declare any dyslexia, learning difficulty or other disability to the RAU Disability & Inclusive Learning Advisor as early as possible (ideally before or during first-year registration), so that we can ensure provision for your needs is in place during your studies.

This is particularly important if you want any adjustments to your exam conditions, for example, you may require additional time, equipment or assistance. These take time to arrange and we must know well in advance. Exam adjustments include use of a computer, a reader, a scribe or voice recognition software.

Here is a case study written by Mel, a third year undergraduate with some advice from what she learnt during her time at the RAU.

Disabled Student Allowance

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health condition, long term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You will not need to repay DSAs.

To apply you need to complete a DSA1 form and enclose a copy of your evidence. If you require any assistance with the forms please ask us.