Support for students with dyslexia and other disabilities

The RAU aims to be an inclusive environment and we actively welcome applications from students with disabilities. Your application for a place will be considered solely on academic grounds.

There are many types of disability, visible or hidden. They can include physical (sight, speech, hearing or mobility impairments), mental health conditions, long term medical conditions and learning differences. The most frequently encountered is dyslexia.

We have designed our courses to be accessible to as wide a range of potential students as possible. We ask that you declare your dyslexia or disability to us as early as possible, so that we can ensure we have provision for your needs in place when you arrive.

As our degrees are vocational, some modules do require physical activity or visual skills in order to complete them successfully.

If you think you may be dyslexic, have a medical or physical disability or mental health need contact to our Enable Team.

We have an excellent track record of supporting the needs of students with dyslexia or other forms of specific learning difficulties, and aim to be ‘dyslexia friendly’ in all our teaching and learning environments.

Depending on your disability we may require copies of additional documents such as:

  • A copy of a report or letter from your doctor or consultant in the case of a physical or long term health condition (lasting over 12 months) 
  • A copy of a report or letter from your doctor or consultant in case of a mental health condition
  • A copy of a full diagnostic assessment from a suitably qualified practitioner, psychologist or specialist teacher. The assessment does not need to be a post-16 assessment

Copies should be sent to

All students are asked to declare any dyslexia, learning difficulty or other disability to the RAU Disability & Inclusive Learning Advisor as early as possible (ideally before or during first-year registration), so that we can ensure provision for your needs is in place during your studies.

This is particularly important if you require any adjustments to your exam conditions, for example, additional time, use of a computer, a reader, a scribe or voice recognition software. Here is a case study written by Mel, a third year undergraduate with some advice from what she learnt during her time at the RAU.

Disabled Student Allowance

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which will fund additional support that you may need due to a physical disability, mental health condition, long term illness or learning difference.  

DSA is in addition to your other student finance. You do not repay DSA.

You can apply through your Student Loan Account. If you do not have a student loan, you will need to complete a DSA1 form and enclose a copy of your evidence. If you require any assistance please contact for support.